What are cookies?
Are cookies safe?
Using cookies is completely safe and very common if you use the internet a lot. A cookie never contains personal information like your name, phone number or email address. Because of this, cookies can never be used to approach you directly via email or telemarketing campaigns. It is very important to us that you know exactly what type of cookies we place and what these are used for by third parties. You can read all about this down below.
- Functional cookies: to make sure our website is user-friendly and safe.
- Analytical cookies: to be able to analyse how our website is used.
Below you can read exactly what the cookies in these categories do. You can also read about which companies can place cookies on your computer, tablet or phone when you visit our website, since we do not always do it ourselves. Sometimes we use the services of other companies and they place the cookies. The Google company is a good example of this. Google offers us products we can use to measure how many visitors we have on our website and supplies us with some advertisements. To be able to do this they have to place a cookie.
When another company places a cookie, we will refer you via a link to their privacy statement or cookie statement. That way you can read for yourself what these companies do with the cookies they place.
Cookies that ensure an optimal and safe user experience on our website.
Since our website does not offer the possibility to create an account, the use of functional cookies is limited for you. Nevertheless, we do have to use them to make sure our website works properly.
This is what we use them for:
- To check your browser settings so we are able to show you our website on your screen in optimal form.
- To detect misuse of our website and because of that prevent cyber attacks among other things.
- To make sure the website is not using too many technical resources so it remains available. We use a service from Amazon Web Services for this.
- To determine your global location so we can make sure the website is loaded from the right server. We use a service from XXX for this.
You do not need to give permission for the use of functional cookies and they also cannot be turned off by you.
Cookies that ensure we can optimize our website.
We want you to have a good time on our website. Since we cannot keep asking every visitor what is good or bad about our website, we are continually optimizing our website based on the statistics we collect.
These statistics can be about the following things:
- How long do you stay on our website?
- What do you click on during your visit?
- How many articles have you read?
- If we make a suggestion for another fun article, do you click on it?
- What device do you use for visiting our website?
- Via what source or advertisement did you find our website?
And more generally:
- How many people visit our website?
- Can we optimize our website for our users?
- In what order do users visit our articles?
- Can our users easily find the elements (like the navigation menu) on our website?
We collect these types of statistical data using Google Analytics. In order to do this, Google Analytics places analytical cookies for us.
Removing and/or turning off cookies
You might choose not to accept any cookies on our website and other websites. Unfortunately, we cannot turn off cookies for you; you have to do this yourself. Please do be aware that when you decide not to accept cookies, we cannot guarantee that our website will work properly for you.
We want to help you on your way with the following links:
- Removing cookies in Mozilla Firefox
- Blocking cookies in Mozilla Firefox
- Removing cookies in Google Chrome
- Blocking cookies in Google Chrome
- Removing cookies in Internet Explorer
- Blocking cookies in Internet Explorer
- Removing cookies in Safari
- Blocking cookies in Safari
We do our best, but unfortunately we cannot always control everything.
Despite the fact that we try to keep a full understanding of what type of cookies our website places, it might still happen that third parties place cookies that are not included in this statement. That is simply due to the way the internet and websites operate. This could happen, for example, when we use embedded content in our articles; these are texts, social media posts, pictures or videos that are saved by a third party, but are shown on or via our website.
This statement might be subject to change without our visitors being informed about it. This is why we recommend visiting this page regularly to find out if any changes have been made since your last visit.